VP Equities Java Developer
New York, NY
1) Job/Group Overview:
This combined development/support role is part of the global Convertible Bonds IT team. This IT team is spread across 4 locations: HK (2 people), Mumbai (4 people), London (3 people) and NY (2 people).
The split for this role is approximately 70% development and 30% support.
Someone is leaving the NY team and we need to replace them.
The global Convertible Bonds Trading/Sales/Strategy business is based in Tokyo, HK, Mumbai, London and NY.
The Convertible Bond (CB) systems are located in London, but are used globally.
The main Convertible Bonds system " Spyder is an integrated Trading, Sales and Research platform. It provides a huge amount of functionality including: real-time instrument valuations, positions and risk valuations; market-making; position-keeping/P&L; client data; historical data; scenario analysis; trade entry.
- The key development area is in the server-side (Java) of the main CB system.
- As appropriate, get involved with other development workstreams across the global system. With a focus on anything related to the NY users or NY local systems.Support:
- Support of the CB systems during the NY day. We have a " follow-the-sun support model involving HK, Mumbai and London.
- Note there is a separate global Production Services team which has resources in Shanghai/Mumbai/London/NY assigned to CB systems. This team is responsible for Level 1 (and some Level 2) support, but any more complicated support request is always escalated to the development team.
- Respond to any questions or problems raised by the NY user base. This could relate to any aspect of the systems. Train the NY users following system releases.
3) Requirements (indicate mandatory or/and preferred):
- Information Technology or similar degree.Required:
- 5+ years in a front-office development role.
- Java development experience. Will have typically written new Java server(s) from scratch.
- Real-time systems.
- Multi-threaded development.
- TIB/RV, TIBCO EMS or similar
- Comfortable on both Windows and Unix.
- Knowledge of Equity or Fixed Income Derivative products (ideally, Convertible Bonds).Preferred:
- Agile software development practices
- Experience of working in a trade floor environment.
- Knowledge of some or all of the following additional technologies: Autosys, C#, C++, Perl, Unix scripting Personal Characteristics:
- Strong problem solving and analytical skills needed to solve business and technical issues to the best possible extent
- Strong work discipline - resilient and eager to be challenged
- Strong attention to detail, particularly for design/details/usability
- Completer finisher, Adaptable, Business focused
- Self-starter with proven ability to research and absorb fine detail in use cases and peculiarities of market and exchange behaviour
- Organized, results focused, practical
- Excellent communication skills
- Team Player with ability to co-ordinate with various stakeholders (local and global)
- Ability and readiness to drive change
- Good creativity and lateral thinking skills
- Needs to be independent in end-to-end execution of projects
4) Any other special comments if any:
Based on the Equities trading floor, close to the CB trading desk.
There will be a lot of interaction with the NY users (and, to a much lesser extent, the London and Asia/Japan users).
There will be a significant amount of co-ordination with the development/support teams in other locations.
Someone in the 2-person NY team needs to be in the office at 7: 30am. We operate a flexible shift pattern, meaning this person will need to start at 7: 30am either 2 or 3 times per week.