Sr. System Engineer
Carle Place, NY
Primary Job Responsibilities
The responsibilities of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Propose, plan, implement and document various pieces of a hybrid and multi-cloud infrastructure
- Set up new cloud environments, VPCs and Federated accounts.
- Architect solutions for high performance, scalability, fault tolerance, security and cost-effectiveness
- Implement infrastructure as code with Terraform and CloudFormation.
- Work within the organization to implement Continuous Integration (CI) and Continuous Delivery (CD) program
- Plan, integrate, administer, and support on-prem and multiple cloud-based platforms
- Work with bare metal infrastructure by combining automation and Kubernetes to provide flexible compute resources
- Lead projects involving engineers from many different disciplines: system administration, networking, security, development and operations
- Serve as an escalation point for SAs and other teams. Work on troubleshooting and resolving complex problems.
- OS upgrades, performing application setup and integration, diagnosing issues with applications running on servers or in microservices, server automation/shell scripting, debugging network issues
- Provide coverage during holiday peak periods and assist in occasional weekend on-call escalations
- Strong experience with VMware vSphere as well as prior background in Linux Administration/Engineering working in development and production environments
- Hands-on experience with cloud platforms: GCP, Azure and AWS.
- Expert knowledge of various technologies for authentication, networking, compute, storage, security, logging, API, management, Terraform/CloudFormation, etc...
- Automation experience with Ansible; Tower and Puppet are a plus. Ability to create scripts and modules using shell or Python/Perl/Ruby.
- REST API, Python, YAML, JSON
- Experience with container runtimes and orchestration platforms especially Docker and Kubernetes
- Solid knowledge of Linux operating system internals, file system structures, machine architectures and networking
- Experience working with CI/CD
- Must have excellent written and verbal communications, good presentation and documentation skills.
- Ability to lead and complete projects independently, as well as be able to delegate tasks to others. Be proactive and manage expectations. Adjust to shifting priorities in a fast-paced, dynamic environment.
- Hardware technologies and systems administration, configuration, troubleshooting, performance tuning, security, and general maintenance
- Hyper Converged Infrastructure (HCI), Solaris and AIX
- Experience with Apache, NGINX, Tomcat, Websphere/Commerce, WebLogic, Oracle databases, DNS
- Patch management, Spacewalk
Bachelor' s degree in Computer Science or related discipline, or an equivalent combination of education and experience.