Senior Engineer (Unreal Engine, C++)
New York, NY
• Collaborate closely with the Director Interactive Software to design and create large-scale multiplayer technologies for our venues.
• Research, communicate technical needs, and support proofs of concepts with various partners and vendors.
• Collaborate closely with our Interactive Concept Group and other departments to share pipeline innovations and improvements as well as helping to integrate our game platform and tools.
• Iterate on the integration of large-scale multiplayer components into cohesive tech demos and a unified gaming platform that can scale for live events.
• Create solutions for scaling networked games through scripted and AI simulations.
• Explore new platform services such as matchmaking and social features that can power our game platform and implement cross-platform abstractions for third-party online services.
• Work alongside our Venue Tech, Systems, and DevOps teams to investigate, prototype, and inform server infrastructure and networking changes to support new gameplay features.
• Collaborate closely with other software teams to inform and create new tools for content creators.
• Write technical documentation and clearly communicate complex solutions and challenges, even to non-technical staff.
• Stay current on relevant technology and conduct necessary research, due diligence, prototyping, and testing to assess emerging technology options.
• Identify areas that require attention and work with the Software project management team to ensure time and resources are properly allocated.
• Computer Science BS, MS or PhD degree preferred or equivalent experience
• 6+ years of professional game engineering or related field experience required
• Experienced in creating and architecting multiplayer software systems for cloud-based video games and prototyping large scale AI character systems, large environments/worlds, and synchronized movement/animation systems is required
• Expertise in C++/Unreal Engine
• Extensive domain knowledge in video game production pipelines is required
• Experience working with backend cloud providers is required (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
• Familiarity with socket I/O and lower level protocols, IPv4/6, TCP, UDP, etc. Is required
• Strong understanding of how to mitigate issues of latency, bandwidth, and state synchronization is required
• Strong understanding of different networking models, methods and situations for prediction, interpolation is required
• Excellent communication and team interaction skills is required
• Self-motivated, with little guidance needed, and an ability to work on multiple projects and prioritize tasks for each in an agile manner
• Working knowledge of securely integrating and wrapping external APIs is preferred
• Experience with load balancing or clustering backend systems is a plus
• Experience creating Software Development Kits is a plus
• Extensive knowledge of Mobile / AR / VR / XR space is a plus
• Applicants should provide their own code samples for tools or playable games along with technical design documentation