Senior Corporate Accountant
New York City, NY
The Senior Corporate Accountant is primarily responsible for corporate financial reporting, SOX compliance and internal controls for Seritage Growth Properties. This position also ensures that all financial deliverables comply with regulatory guidance and professional standards.
• Prepare corporate financial reports, including balance sheets, income statements, cash flow, equity statements, and related schedules.
• Joint Venture financial reporting and analysis for internal management and joint venture partners.
• Prepare corporate financial variance/fluctuation analysis on a monthly, quarterly and yearly basis.
• Complete monthly general ledger close functions for assigned Joint Ventures including journal entries, account analysis, account reconciliations, trend analysis, and financial statement research.
• Prepares audited financial statements, and assists in annual audit for assigned Joint Ventures.
• Develop, formulate and maintain company' s accounting policies, processes and procedures.
• Participate, assist and maintain the Sarbanes-Oxley (SOX) compliance program.
• Assist, participate and maintain the company' s internal control functions.
• Liaison with outsourced internal audit firm on SOX compliance and internal audit responsibilities.
• Prepare and review monthly lender financial and operating reports.
• Performs property impairment analysis to ensure fair asset value related to the asset portfolio.
• Support monthly, quarterly and year-end close process and activities.
• Liaison with external independent auditors.
• Prepare supporting schedules and provide data for audit work for independent auditors.
• Prepare financial data for inclusion in the 10-K, 10-Q and earnings release as necessary.
• Research, interpretation and application of accounting pronouncements/issues and implement new policies and procedures as needed
• Review and approval of weekly cash disbursements for proper coding, approval authority, and vendor/payee information.
• Assist with the preparation of tax information for REIT Qualification tests and income tax return preparation.
• Analyzes various general ledger accounts to ensure activity is accurately recorded.
• Assist with special projects such as property acquisitions, property dispositions, management changes, joint ventures, public offerings, etc.
• Support and assist with portfolio budgets and planning activities.
• Perform corporate bank reconciliations.
• Demonstrate highest standards of personal and professional integrity, adheres to company' s policies and procedures, and complies with applicable laws, government rules and regulations.
• Other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
Skills and Experience:
• 7+ years of relevant professional experience.
• Real estate ownership and management accounting experience.
• Joint Venture accounting experience.
• Strong Sarbanes-Oxley and Internal Controls experience.
• Advance skills in Microsoft Excel and intermediate skills in Microsoft Word and Outlook are required.
• Knowledge of JD Edwards, Yardi or similar accounting software is required.
• Excellent analytical and research skills.
• Ability to prioritize workload and meet deadlines.
• Detail oriented with strong documentation skills.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• This position requires a Bachelor' s degree in accounting or finance from an accredited four-year college or university.
• An active Certified Public Account (CPA) license is required for this position.
Working Conditions and Physical Requirements:
• Minimal travel is required for this position.
• This position requires the ability to see clearly at a distance of 20 inches or less to read documents and/or view computer screen.
• This position requires the ability to hear and talk and to communicate in person, via video conferencing and via phone on a daily basis.
• This position requires the ability to use hands/fingers to enter, retrieve and/or manipulate data using a computer keyboard.