Director - Margin Specialist
New York, NY
we embrace your strengths and your ambitions so you feel empowered at work. Our team members have what they need to make a meaningful impact and feel truly valued for who they are and what they contribute.
What You' ll Be Doing
The Margin Specialist is accountable for providing in-depth advice/consultation typically of an operational or tactical nature, to management and designated clients, within an area of specialization. The individual will be responsible for advising Securities Operations and Prime Services Group on the set of processes, procedures and flows for Regulation T, Regulation U and House Margin related to the US Prime Brokerage business. The Margin Specialist will help design the internal and client-facing margin reporting packs and help craft the procedures for monitoring them.
Once the business is live, the individual will assist in the oversight of daily margin calculations, along with overseeing daily margin deficits and calls. Part of the daily process will include validation of margin calls, review of margin exceptions, and communication with Prime Brokerage Client Services regarding communication with clients and the steps to ensure daily margin calls are met. The Margin Specialist will be responsible for escalation to Operations and business management outsized margin calls, margin calls that cannot be met in a timely fashion and clients with regular or persistent margin issues.
The individual will lead projects related to the development and implementation of new and revised policies, procedures and standards for margin processing and will provide technical guidance and professional advice to more junior specialists.
How You' ll Succeed
Provide in-depth operational and tactical advice and guidance to management and client groups, within margin processing:
- Determine the policies and procedures for daily margin reviews and margin adjudication.
- Ensure Prime Brokerage is well-informed of the Margin Specialist' s mandate and nature, including relevant policies and regulations.
- Promote and market the concepts, products and services of the specialist area.
- Work with Client Services and client to consider alternative approaches, products or services for margin processing.
- Interpret, provide advice on, and promote compliance with policies, procedures, standards as well as external regulatory and legislative requirements, in routine and non-routine situations.
- Provide technical support/information to Client Services and Clients.
- Evaluate the impact of introducing new methods or products into the Client Services' and client' s operations. Identify and assess risks and opportunities for enhancing the performance of programs or policies, and make appropriate recommendations.
- Provide advice to Client Services' and clients in formulating effective implementation approaches for the business area.
- Champion our values and provide support in a manner consistent with the highest quality standards and objectives.
- Act as a " lead practitioner" in handling non-routine or extremely sensitive issues, problems or requests.
- Provide " informal" leadership, coaching, etc. On routine and non-routine issues for more junior staff within the specialist area.
- Perform administrative and coordinative duties of a managerial nature on behalf of the function, including assisting in the preparation of budgets and plans.
- Coordinate the preparation, production and distribution of margin reports.
- Identify opportunities for increasing the efficiency of own department' s operations.
- Review and monitor daily margin reports.
- Develop and recommend client specific solutions to routine and non-routine operational problems.
- Monitor audits requested by clients to ensure that objectives and regulatory requirements are met or exceeded.
- Maintain regular contact to determine client needs and provide appropriate support.
- Liaise with external service suppliers and regulators to resolve problems/inquiries.
- Lead projects of a moderate level of complexity to enhance and upgrade new and existing programs, products or services by researching relevant data and developing proposals and recommendations.
- Participate in other' s projects to represent the area of specialization and provide input into the development and implementation of policy and program initiatives.
- Relevant subject/functional area, industry and organizational knowledge (e.G. Relevant practices, principles and technologies).
- Professional contacts.
- Key relationships with internal employees up to the Senior Management level to exchange information and/or to provide clarification on policy issues or relevant standards.
- Regular contact with external colleagues at the peer level at major Financial Institutions, Industry Associations, Regulators, Specialized Consultants and Professionals, Vendors / Suppliers on a regular basis to respond to inquiries, resolve problems and maintain knowledge in the field.
- Minimum of ten years of experience in Global Prime Brokerage operations and five years in US Margin Operations.
- Relevant experience in servicing US hedge funds' margin needs.
- Knowledge of internal systems and applications specific to own unit (e.G. CashOne, BPS, SWIFT).
- Knowledge of US securities and prime brokerage regulations.
- Proficiency in Excel, Word, PowerPoint and Visio for documentation, modeling and analysis purposes.
- Proficient problem-solving, conceptualization, interpersonal, negotiation and mediation skills.
- Ability to effectively manage multiple activities of varying complexity while under time constraints.
- Excellent presentation and communication skills, both written and verbal.
- Compliance with all regulatory training and ensure these programs and policies are applied consistently across the business.